Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VR help please

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

VR help please

Just got a Quest 2. I'm a first time VR user. Depth perception is great. But graphics... Not good at all.
    I'm running 2080Ti with i9. Graphics maxed, in game VR settings on full and max resolution on Oculus app. Yet graphics are really not great comparing to screen. I'm used to 4k but what I get on Guest 2 looked much worse than 1080p. Is this normal?
    i9. 2080ti. 256RAM. Liquid cooled. Thrustmaster T300RS GT + F1 wheel

Platform
    PC
    I tried my friend's Quest 2 and it looked softer than my old CV1 Rift. I have tried the S, the Index, Reverb, and Reverb G2. The Quest 2 was the softest image of all those I have tried. I assumed it had something to do with the wireless virtual desktop approach my friend was using to run his, but I have heard there is a lot of compression over the link cable too.

Have you tried an oculus store game that runs directly on the headset? (Something like robo-recall maybe)

That should give you an idea of the *potential* image quality the headset is capable of.

My primary headset is a G1 Reverb. It's basically 4k but it's right up against your eyes, so it looks more like a nice 1080p screen to me. It has the second best picture of all the headsets I have tried. The G2 has slightly better color, but the stock face cushion pulls the lenses away and narrows the field of view compared to the G1.

My CV1 Rift looked pixelated, but it was sharp and the color was great. I could almost forget about it until I looked at a car in the distance and the headset was trying to render it with 4 pixels. Close and medium distance was okay though.

I think the Quest 2 is limited in image quality when running from a PC because of the interface methods more than the display(s).
    Last edited by Twinz; 04-09-2021 at 01:30.
    Steam name: z1nonly YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Z1NONLY/featured Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/z1nonly172
    5800X / RTX 3080 Ti / 32gb DDR4 @3600 C15 / HP Reverb Pro / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Ok so before doing anything else, in gfx set supersampling to 1.7 or 1.8 (everything else on low) and start from there. ss makes everything in this game.

Anything under 1.7ss really looks soft blurry crap.

Platform
    PC
    I use a G2 with no supersampling as it's not really needed with this headset and I am very happy with the clarity of the image, but I did find that increasing the sharpening helped things in the distance look clearer. A bit more sharpening may mean you can run lower ss and increase some other settings. Too high settings can make aliasing worse so try a few settings around those suggested in the link too see what works for best for you.

See, https://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...=1#post1484134
    Last edited by Zaskarspants; 05-09-2021 at 09:44.
    Ryzen9 5900x, rtx3090, reverb G2, Sim Labs GT1 evo rig, Fanatec DD2, Shifter, v3 pedals, Mclaren Gt3 rim, Sparco Grid q seat.
    Join stoopid time trial challenges for satisfaction https://www.stoopidchallenges.com
    The following user likes this Post: DaWorstPlaya

Platform
    PC
    VR is not going to look as good as a monitor period due to the reasons stated above. Not to mention the Quest2 does the compression streaming over USB/Wifi, not a fan.
    What line?
    PC: Ryzen7 5800x, RTX 3080Ti, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD HD, Oculus Rift, Vive Pro, HP Reverb G1 and G2
    Wheel/Pedal: Fanatec Clubsport wheel, pedal, shifter and handbrake
    Next Level Racing Motion V3/Traction+
    The following user likes this Post: Zaskarspants

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Thank you all for replies. I have super sampling set to high. Still not as good as I hoped. I guess I need to consider the HP Reverb. In the mean time I'll carry on with what I have.
    Thanks you for your help.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by BartZ View Post
    Thank you all for replies. I have super sampling set to high. Still not as good as I hoped. I guess I need to consider the HP Reverb. In the mean time I'll carry on with what I have.
    Thanks you for your help.
    Ok so i thought pcars2 was very blurry and bad gfx when i started out. The main importance is SS. I set SS at 1.8 inside the game and it was immediatley very very sharp and clear using an oculus quest 2.

Setting SS to 0 in-game and 200% i Steam VR would be perferable tho because steam VR ss isnt as resource hoggy apparantly. havent tested this tho.

Also i use airlink since i get a feeling that transfer is faster than with a cable.

Main point set SS as high as possible then turn everything else off.

Also get the reduce blur fix in the forum. MSAA to low

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    So based on comments here I decided to call it with quest 2 and get a reverb. Should be arriving on in few days. Thank you everyone for the valuable comments. I'm expecting things to go a bit better soon.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Twinz, Zaskarspants

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by BartZ View Post
    So based on comments here I decided to call it with quest 2 and get a reverb. Should be arriving on in few days. Thank you everyone for the valuable comments. I'm expecting things to go a bit better soon.

The Reverb will really put your 2080Ti to work but it should handle it well.

My old 1080Ti could run PC2 on my G1 Reverb on low settings, so your 2080Ti should do even better.

The Reverb has a lot of pixels to push though. Even my 3080 has to run medium-ish settings and low AA. I prefer the sharpness of 150% SS though. If you are happy with no SS+sharpening you wil be able to run more eye candy.
    Last edited by Twinz; 18-09-2021 at 11:25.
    Steam name: z1nonly YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Z1NONLY/featured Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/z1nonly172
    5800X / RTX 3080 Ti / 32gb DDR4 @3600 C15 / HP Reverb Pro / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks. I'll post an update once it arrives along with my settings if anyone's interested. It'll take me some time to dial it in. I'm still a VR noob. For instance what is super sampling ad AA in simple terms and how taxing are they on GPU? Is there a settings below which I shouldn't go?