Thread: Catalunya National and that straight

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Catalunya National and that straight

I hope I'm not the only one!

Now first off, I'm definitely not an expert. Still need to refine braking technique, etc. Skill level, well, depending on the circuit I finished Formula C (which was definitely not something I should have attempted this soon) varying between 25 and 60 difficulty depending on the track and the temperature. I've also done Ginetta GT5 and Karts on 60, and finished Clio Cup at 75.

I've been working through Group A Euro, running the Skyline. Set-up seems to be reasonable, I've made a few adjustments to the loose setup as I wanted to focus on my driving before I made severe adjustments. Using Logitech G27, with H-shifter, and modded pedals - I have the GT-Eye springs, and have inverted the pedals following AMStudio's video. I can heel-toe but my technique isn't perfect in race conditions and usually go 3rd - 1st so I can keep a good balance of brake pressure and engine braking. I haven't adjusted engine braking in the Skyline and haven't checked to see if I can (yet).

I've had the same problems with the straight at Catalunya National in both Group A and FC: I can't get as fast an exit speed out of the final chicane as the AI, and they out-brake me at the end of the straight. I've tried several different lines and all sorts of things, done a lot of practice in races and private sessions. So I'm guessing I'm just missing something.

Any advice would be welcome I've watched dozens of driving technique videos on Youtube so plenty of knowledge, just struggling to apply it on this one section of road (had similar problems with being out-braked at Nurburgring Sprint)

Platform
    PC
    Try using Time Trial and a ghost (or ghosts) that run your pace or a little faster. Then see if you can pinpoint what you are doing differently and where. (You can also try some of the setups from other people's fastest runs and see if there is anything there)
    Steam name: z1nonly YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Z1NONLY/featured Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/z1nonly172
    5800X / RTX 3080 Ti / 32gb DDR4 @3600 C15 / HP Reverb Pro / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Hi Twinz, yes I've done all that. I think the main thing I'm confused about is the exit on that last chicane, and being out-braked on the straight - i.e. the AI seems to brake later and stop sooner, whereas I'm definitely braking right at my limit, doing it right - hard at first and trailbraking out. I'm doing Cayman Cup now, so learning a new car and new tracks (doing the US series instead of Euro this time), so hopefully I'll pick up a few things. But I'm sure I'll be back at Catalunya eventually.

Platform
    PC
    The AI is not on the exact same physics. There are going to be some areas where the AI is stronger than the player physics, and some areas the player physics are stronger than the AI.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following user likes this Post: r_outsider

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks Mahjik, yes that makes sense. I've managed to push the difficulty up a lot higher since starting the Cayman Cup (currently doing Daytona at 100). The Circuit of the Americas I qualified last at 90 and only managed to move up to 11th, generally unable to make up about 1.5 seconds difference - partly due to mistakes, but mostly because I just couldn't seem to find a way to keep up with the AI in a couple of sections. And yet it's either close, or I'm slightly better on virtually every other track - that's certainly the only circuit that I haven't qualified first. Sooo I guess on tracks where I'm really struggling I'll just drop the difficulty again, like I did with Formula C. But I am pleased to finally be racing at 100